Saturday, March 17, 2018

Still Hanging Out in Panama City

I haven't posted for a while, been busy with college work. My wife and I are still living aboard our little Seawind 24. We are used to the small space now and don't really feel the need to move into any kind of house or apartment. The peace and quiet on the water is so nice! The weather has challenged us a bit over the past year, hurricane Irma blew the water out of the bay although we were really sheltered so no problem. The winter has been mild except for a couple of super cold days, well cold for Florida, 23 degrees F. Even had icicles hanging from the boat. We don't have any form of heating in the boat, just our sleeping bag and some hot water bottles.

Before Irma

After Irma
Icicles hanging from the beam.
We have a few "pets" now, a great white egret, a seagull, and a raccoon. The raccoon is mellow but the egret and seagull get us out of bed in the morning, one tap dancing on the roof and the other clicking his beak at the door.
Whitey the Great White Egret

We feed the fish and he catches them.
Pinky the Seagull

The college course I am doing included a photography class. I chose the boat for one of my assignments so below are some of those shots.








With my college course coming to an end so we may be sailing again soon.

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog, always nice to know there are still people who cruise extendively and live aboard smallish boats. I really like the Seawind 24 and found your blogf searching for more general info on it. I would really appreciate some photos of the interior if you wouldn't mind....yes I know they are narrow'coffins' as an owner of a small Wharram descibed his boat. As for the tent on the net/tramp. How much wind can that set-up be used in?

    Cheers, Magnus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magnus, the small space does have its moments! But we have learned to cope and do enjoy it. I will get some photos together of the inside (not a lot to see) and do a post about life in the culvert, as my wife describes it, LOL. We only used the tent when there was not much wind, it was cooler than inside, but the limiting factor would be the type of tent I guess. We just have a pop up dome tent.

      Delete
  2. Dear Allen and wife, great blog. I just rediscovered it and was so impressed at how you've lived embedded in nature these years and the beautiful photographs tell a small part of your story. I do love the Wharram cats, but the robust nature of the Seawind ie. fibreglass-ness is a major attraction for a heavy handed sailor like I can be at times.Of course here in Australia there are many Seawinds, most like yours was when you found it, minus trailers. Fair winds to you all Thanks Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Read, loved the journey you took me on. I have been researching these boats for some time and can't really see a negative for the dollars. I live in Australia, and it suits the Great Barrier reef and bay Islands. Cheers David

    ReplyDelete