Friday, September 28, 2012

There It Is!

My wife and I had been looking for a sailboat for some time and began searching the Internet for suitable boats. We were interested in a +- 28' boat that we could live aboard and possibly do some ocean cruising with. We found and rejected many but then I got a job at a local marina, Steamboat Landing Marina and there I saw it, a 24' Seawind catamaran! It had been there for a long time and was really run down but I just fell in love with this pretty little boat. We had built and sailed a 35' cat before and knew what a great pleasure it was to sail cats. The Seawind 24 is a lot smaller and probably a bit faster than our previous boat.


Now it was time to find out if the owner would part with it. I had some trouble contacting the owner as the phone number for him at the marina didn't work and I resorted to mailing a letter to his last address. A few days later I received an email from him saying he would consider selling it but would only be there in 6 weeks' time. I checked the boat out in the meantime and got a diver to check the bottom for osmosis. Surprisingly the bottom was in good condition, probably because it had been in very cold fresh water for the past nineteen years!

When the owner got back we entered into a week long negotiation on the price and settled in the end on $3000 for the boat and its purpose built trailer which was in equally neglected condition.

The Boat was now ours!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the seawind,:-). Iv done two trips along the Australian coast! And found their a great cat and very sea worthy. Kik me at desmond1on for a chat and any advice i can offer,:-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Desmond, thanks for your comment. That is good to hear. Sorry for the delay in reply, we are moving the boat from Washington State to the Florida Keys right now, towing it ourselves. Plan to have her in the water by the 17th of November. I'm sure we will need advice sometime soon, thanks for the offer.

      Delete